Home

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Freedom! My observations of life after... A.A.

Well it hasn't been that long yet.

.

I'm still sober.  I still don't want to drink.  I don't have to drum up what I've been doing the last week to impress upon the world my relentless pursuit of perfection of working the A.A. steps.

.

I have been asked so politely to come back to the group or invited to holiday things etc., etc.

.

These folks were/are in fact, my friends as well.  But minus the commitment, where do I really stand?  We shall see.

.

So, what does this new found freedom feel like?  It's nice, to not have to eat sleep and breathe A.A. shit for a while.  I can spend time with the wife.  Spend time with my aging parents.  Spend time with my home, my back yard, my kitchen floor, my new hot water heater that I installed, just like the new kitchen floor, my soon to be back yard improvements, my old car restoration, my T.V.!  That's right!  I've finished off House of Cards, gotten three seasons into Damages, etc.

.

Freedom to just live... my life, the way I want to.  I don't have to give a damn about what an alcoholic is or is not or whether that dude or chick has the same beliefs or A.A. knowledge that I do.  They don't give a damn about my meticulous studies of the A.A. doctrine that I've slaved over the last 21 or so years.

.

It feels so good to just chill for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment